JellyPages.com

Monday, September 22, 2014

Disney Using an ECV

Lately I have seen a lot of ECV user bashing on various websites and boards.  So many people are complaining about how unfair it is that some people on ECVs get special treatment.  I have visited Walt Disney World each year since 2009, and each trip has been with my ECV.  Yes I am overweight, but that's not why I use an ECV.  I am diabetic, have very bad knees, and difficulty breathing.  I do have a handicapped placard, for which my doctor signed the proper papers.  I do not abuse my handicapped privileges.

When we travel to Disney, it is usually myself with my husband, my oldest daughter and her family (her son uses a wheel chair because of a birth defect), and my younger two daughters.  We used to get a guest assistance card, but those are no longer available for mobility issues.  So we do the best we can.  I have done nearly all the shows, and I can tell you from personal experience that our entire family has never been permitted to sit in the handicapped section.  Generally my husband is permitted to stay with me, and my daughter's family is permitted to stay with my grandson, but never have we all been grouped into one handicapped row.  There are many rides that I have not ridden, Soarin' in particular is a sore spot for me.  I am very short, and could not get onto the seat.  I have a wooden box that I carry in my rear basket, and with that I could probably have gotten onto the ride seat.  But the cast member who was working on that day, told me they could not hold the ride long enough for me to use the box to get onto the seat.  I left in tears while the rest of my family, who were already seated, did the ride.  I have not tried again, I don't enjoy humiliation.

We rent a car each trip now, because on our first trip several bus drivers (and many riders) were rude, impatient, and cruel.  I had one driver tell me that if I was riding his bus, I needed to "turn that damned thing around and back in on".  He had permitted other riders to board the bus before letting the ramp down for me. I had no idea how I was going to back the scooter onto the bus and into the space reserved for wheelchairs and scooters. Needless to say, I didn't ride his bus!  Also on that trip, we were attempting to take a boat from Magic Kingdom to the Wilderness Lodge, and the cast member didn't want to get the ramp for me to board the boat.  He told me to kick it into high gear and just jump it across from the dock to the boat.  The captain intervened and I boarded the boat using the ramp. After that trip,  I wasn't sure that I ever wanted to go back.


Since then, most of our trips have been enjoyable and without incident.  Disney is very handicapped friendly, and the majority of the cast members are kind and helpful.  I have grown accustomed to parents trying to "run" their children across in front of me, rather than waiting for me to pass.  I no longer fume at the people who use the handicapped sidewalk areas because they aren't as crowded.  I keep my scooter at a medium speed, many times going slower than the rest of my family.  I no longer apologize when someone backs up into me because they weren't looking where they were walking.  I've had people end up on my lap because they were talking while backing up.  But I don't apologize for it any longer.  And I no longer hesitate to use my "horn", if you can call it that.  I am polite, and say excuse me, if I am passing between people.  "Pardon me, coming through" has become my most used phrase.  Please, when you are in the parks, be kind and considerate to those in wheelchairs or on scooters.  They would much rather be able to walk the parks like you do than to ride their chairs and scooters.

No comments:

Post a Comment